I made this layered chocolate cake my friends birthday. I used my basic chocolate cake recipe that I have been making since I was kid then doubled it to make the layered cake pictured. I used 2 x 23cm tins and 2 x 28cm tins for the pictured cake. The usual cake recipe makes either 1 large 28cm cake or 2 x 23cm cakes.
- 3 cups self raising flour (or 3 cups normal flour and 3 tsp baking powder)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp baking soda, sifted
- 200g butter, softened
- 1 cup unsweetened yoghurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup boiling hot coffee
- 1 recipe Chocolate Ganache
- Selection of: coconut thread, coconut flakes, dark chocolate (roughly chopped), Fresh As freeze dried raspberries, Fresh As raspberry powder, silvered almonds, flowers (violas or pansies are great).
Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line 2 x 23cm cake tins or one large 28cm tin with baking paper.
Place all cake ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric beater until well combined.
Pour mixture into prepared tin/s and smooth top. Bake for 45min-1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin.
To ice cake:
Ice the cakes with the chilled chocolate ganache then sprinkle a range of the toppings over the top.